We hear it all the time.
“Think out of the box.”
“Dare to do something that’s never been done before.”
“One great idea can change the world.”
Often, it’s not the courage we lack, it’s the ideas. We all want to be the unconventional thinker. It’s what made Steve Jobs into one of the most successful entrepreneurs of all time.
It seems some are born with more creativity, but that doesn’t mean it’s something we can’t cultivate. Here is a list of 10 things to do to get your imagination back.
- Doodle – whether you’re good at it or not, doodling will get your mind turning.
- Attend a concert – Don’t do something you like, go to something new!
- Change your perspective – Right now! Whereever you’re reading this, move to the floor, a different room or somewhere unconventional.
- Play – Yep, it doesn’t matter what you do, just play like you’re a kid again.
- Study a new language for 30 minutes – Why not? Your mind will be jumbled but it will get your brain going.
- Get outside – It doesn’t matter if it’s hot or cold, the outdoors is a great place to ponder.
- Read poetry – It’s a lost art that sometimes take critical thinking to understand.
- Sing out loud – If you know vocals aren’t your strong point, then do it in your car. Singing and music are proven to get your creative juices going.
- Laugh more – Read a joke book, watch a stand-up comedian or watch your favorite comedy show. You know you’ll love it.
- Do something crazy – Please be safe, but do something you would never do. Go skydiving, sign up for a Zumba class, join a Bible group or go to the other end of town and eat at the first restaurant you see.
Some of these ideas take courage, but that’s what you have. Who knows what great ideas you’ll have if you get out of the way and do something different today!